This is a light-hearted look at how you can drink less alcohol with serious intent.
Moderate alcohol consumption can:
- Lower your risk of cardiovascular disease, possibly by thinning the blood.
- Decrease your chances of getting a cold, maybe something to do with the antioxidant properties of wine.
- Could help guard against dementia, it does this by stressing your cells hence strengthening them for the road ahead (seems a little back-to-front to me).
Notice it is moderate consumption and the use of words such as possible, maybe and could. There is no definitive proof of any of these suggestions.
Some more sobering facts:
When you drink, alcohol is absorbed into the bloodstream and rapidly distributed to all parts of the body including the brain. It affects all of the body’s cells. The liver is responsible for metabolising the alcohol and ridding it from our body which generally takes about an hour for one standard drink.
Even moderate drinking can:
- Weaken your immune system
- Disturb your sleep
- Stress your liver
- Impair brain cell formation
- Upset your gut flora
So what is moderate drinking?
It depends on a variety of variables but generally:
For women, it is one standard drink per day. For Men, it is up to 2 standard drinks per day and no you cannot save them up and have them all on one day. Be kind to your liver, please.
How do you know if you’ve had too much to drink?
The obvious answers are:
- you keep tripping over unidentified objects.
- people who were not oil paintings at the start of the night look good at the end of the night.
- your absolute confidence that you are the funniest person in the room.
5 Tips for drinking less
- Intersperse drinks with sparkling water. I prefer sparkling because it seems like you are drinking something a little more sophisticated. Add a squeeze of lime to really jazz it up.
- Avoid that cocktail with the umbrella and 20 shots of coloured spirits posing as a trendy choice for the fashion-conscious drinker.
- Try diluting your drink.
- Don’t gulp! Try to spin your drink out longer than 5 minutes.
- Remind yourself of the last time you drank too much and you woke up on that train in another state.
Give it a go, you will feel much better for it in the short and the long term.
I really enjoy a glass of wine and before I started on a low carb diet was probably drinking too much. Now however two glasses seem to be my limit when I am socialising.