Caffeine Free Chai Latte Recipe And 5 Great Bedtime Drinks
This post may contain affiliate links from which i can earn a commission
I urge you to try the caffeine free chai latte recipe at the end of this post. It would be a gorgeous winter warmer for those cold winter nights when you want something comforting before bed. It is seriously yum!
While away in Europe with my daughter a few years back she discovered the starbucks chai tea lattes and was hooked. She was a regular rooibos tea drinker and didn’t do so well with caffeine so these lattes were something a little special she could have.
What is the drink that you take to bed with you? A glass of water, a cup of tea or are you more of a cocoa or milo and fluffy dressing gown with animal slippers type of person?
As sleep can be elusive for a woman who’s been through menopause and is now in postmenopause. As such I’m always on the lookout for delicious drinks that I can have before bed or in the afternoon that won’t contribute to a bad nights sleep.
Check out this list for some great ideas.
Caffeine free bedtime drinks
Some of these suggestions for you might want to try before bed drink may also aid in a BETTER night’s sleep.
Make sure to check out the two recipes below for two special alternatives.
- Valerian root tea – the theory is that it increases the level of a neurotransmitter GABA which can increase sleepiness. Interesting fact – that is the same neurotransmitter that is increased when you practice breathing eg 4-7-8 method.
- Chamomile tea – increases your levels of glycine a neurotransmitter that relaxes your nerves
- Cherry juice – tart cherry juice although high in carbs is a great source of melatonin a hormone which helps regulate the sleep/wake cycle.
- Milk – contains tryptophan which signals the brain to produce serotonin, a serenity boosting neurotransmitter.
- Almond milk – It has calcium which helps the brain produce melatonin and magnesium which can help you to relax.
Making your own homemade spiced chai latte mix
There are so many spice blends out there but this one has a nice balance for a delicious chai latte result. It uses already ground spices to make it easy to throw together.
Easy Chai Spice Blend
- 4 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp ground ginger
- 4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 Tbsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp ground cloves
Add all ingredients to small jar and mix.
Making your Chai Latte
Generally a chai latte is made with black tea and although delicious the tea contains caffeine. There are however plenty of caffeine free choices available which maintain their taste.
Add 1 good sized teaspoon into a cup with a natural sweetner of your choice and 1 cup of milk of your choice. Adding Macadamia milk will taste amazing but coconut or almond are also both good. Mix sweetner and chai mix with a little hot water to a paste. Stir in the milk or blend for extra creaminess.
For iced version blend with cold milk and pour over ice.
Health Benefits Of Spices
Many spices are known for the health benefits they can provide. Here are some of the ingredients of this homemade spice mix and how they can improve your health.
Is sweet, warm and spicy. It’s known for aiding digestion.
Ginger is immune boosting and great for digestion. It adds a lovely touch of heat to the mix.
Are an amazing antioxidant. They aid digestion and help prevent colds and flu. Cloves also boost circulation and aid heart, liver and stomach health.
Black pepper is known as an antioxidant, as well as aids in digestion.
Apple Cider Vinegar Tea
- 1 cup hot water (not boiling)
- 2 tbsp organic apple cider vinegar
- Sweetener of your choice
- Mix all of the ingredients together.
Delicious Caffeine Free Chai Tea Latte
This caffeine free version is so good you might find it becomes your favourite.
- 1 bag of rooibos chai tea (rooibos is naturally caffeine-free)
- 2 cups of almost boiling water
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon almond butter (creamy is preferred)
- 2 dates (optional)
Method for a hot chai latte
- Cover the teabag and dates (if using) with 2 cups of boiling water and steep for a few minutes.
- Discard the tea bag & place tea, soaked dates, tahini & almond butter in a blender.
- Blend until creamy.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Tips: You can try this with other nut or seed butter to see which flavour combination you like the best. Cashew butter anyone?
You can also easily make this an iced chai latte by allowing the rooibos to cool. Once blended add over ice into a tall glass. Delicious!