This post may contain affiliate links from which i can earn a commission
This chocolate chia seed pudding is rich in selenium so besides being delicious it will support your thyroid function. What other dessert does that? Oh yeah, the Dark Chocolate Brazil Nut and Coconut Bars by Marks Daily do.
What is Selenium and why do we need it.
Selenium is a mineral needed by the body in small amounts. Deficiency can lead to issues like fatigue and thyroid disorder.
As an antioxidant selenium is extremely powerful. An antioxidant is a substance that slows and prevents cell damage by getting rid of free radicals.
The thyroid is a gland in your throat that produces hormones that affect growth and metabolism. Selenium plays an important role in supporting the thyroid.
For those of us with mercury fillings data suggest that supplementing with organic selenium can help support the expulsion of this toxic metal from the body.
I help support my selenium intake by having 3 Brazil nuts every morning as I head out for my walk. It’s a little like taking your supplements only much nicer. I also throw a small handful (they are expensive) into the nut butter that I make, which is delicious.
You can read more about the connection between these things and a slow metabolism here.
Following are two of my favourite selenium-rich recipes.
From Marks Daily Apple.
Dark Chocolate Brazil Nut and Coconut Bars
- 25 ounces (about 1/2 cup) unsweetened coconut flakes (56 g)
- 8 ounces high-quality dark chocolate (230 g)
- 1 ounce Brazil nuts (about 8 whole nuts), chopped (36 g)
- 1 silicone icecube tray (with 15 cubes)
Recipe Tip: For easiest removal, lightly oil the silicon ice cube tray.
Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Spread coconut out on a baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove and cool. Pulse in a food processor a few times to chop the coconut flakes into smaller pieces.
- Use a serrated knife to chop the chocolate into tiny pieces. Put half the chocolate in a bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Stir in the remaining chocolate. If needed, continue heating the chocolate in 15-second intervals and then stirring, until completely melted.
- Stir the coconut and chopped Brazil nuts into the chocolate. Pour the chocolate into each cube in the tray (using a bowl with a pour spout makes this easier). The chocolate will come about halfway up each cube. If desired, ingredients can also be pressed onto the top of the chocolate squares (like coconut flakes or dried fruit).
Selenium-Rich Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding
- ½ cup Brazil nuts
- 2 cups water
- nut bag or several layers of cheesecloth (optional)
- ½ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup unsweetened cacao powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or sweetener of your choice)
- Blend Brazil nuts in water in a high-speed blender until you get smooth, creamy milk. If desired, strain it with a nut bag or several layers of cheesecloth.
- Add Brazil nut milk and other ingredients into a bowl and whisk until combined. Let sit several minutes (or overnight) until desired thickness is reached.
Serve & Enjoy!
Tip: Makes a simply delicious breakfast or dessert topped with berries.