I urge you to try the caffeine free chai latte recipe at the end of this post. It would be a gorgeous winter warmer for those colde winter nights when you want something comforting before bed. It is seriously yum!
What is the drink that you take to bed with you a glass of water, a cup of tea or are you more of a cocoa or milo, fluffy dressing gown and animal slippers type of person? I am always on the lookout for delicious drinks that I can have before bed or in the afternoon. Check out this list for some great ideas.
Some of these suggestions may also aid in a BETTER night’s sleep.
Make sure to check out the two recipes below for two special alternatives.
- Valerian root – the theory is that it increases the level of a neurotransmitter GABA which can increase sleepiness. Interesting fact – that is the same neurotransmitter that is increased when you practice breathing eg 4-7-8 method.
- Chamomile tea – increases your levels of glycine a neurotransmitter that relaxes your nerves
- Cherry juice – tart cherry juice although high in carbs is a great source of melatonin a hormone which helps regulate the sleep/wake cycle.
- Milk – contains tryptophan which signals the brain to produce serotonin, a serenity boosting neurotransmitter.
- Almond milk – It has calcium which helps the brain produce melatonin and magnesium which can help you to relax.
Apple Cider Vinegar Tea
- 1 cup hot water (not boiling)
- 2 tbsp organic apple cider vinegar
- Sweetener of your choice
- Mix all of the ingredients together.
Caffeine Free Chai Latte
- 1 bag of rooibos chai tea (rooibos is naturally caffeine-free)
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon almond butter (creamy is preferred)
- 2 dates (optional)
- Cover the teabag and dates (if using) with 2 cups of boiling water and steep for a few minutes.
- Discard the tea bag & place tea, soaked dates, tahini & almond butter in a blender.
- Blend until creamy.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Tip: You can try this with other nut or seed butter to see which flavour combination you like the best. Cashew butter anyone?