This post may contain affiliate links from which i can earn a commission
Who doesn’t love a good fritter? I grew up on sweet corn fritters made with a can of creamed corn, flour and egg. As kids we loved them. These grain-free zucchini and sweet potato fritters are a step above the corn fritters of yesteryear.
As an adult who likes to eat as healthy as possible the creamed corn is out and so is the flour. Luckily there are some many ways to make delicious fritters with ingredients that won’t send your health packing.
I developed these fritters to have something that was healthy but appetising for Peter while he is undergoing chemotherapy and they are loved by all of the family.
For those that have been through chemo, they will know that it is important to eat to keep up your strength but not a whole lot of anything appeals thanks to feeling queasy for the first few days after treatment.
Subscribe to Jane Lamason!
Get updates on the latest posts and more from Jane straight to your inbox.
I pair these with some coleslaw or a leafy green salad. If we are lucky there is a couple of leftover fritters to have cold the next day in a sandwich. We have to hide them though as we have invisible rats the size of teenagers in our fridge so leftovers tend to mysteriously disappear.
For another good fritter recipe check out my Healthy Low Carb Cauliflower And Zucchini Fritters this was a great hit and despite the really bad attempt at food photography, continues to be a well-visited post.
Grain-Free Zucchini and Sweet Potato Fritters
- 2 Medium Zucchini
- 1 cup of grated Sweet Potato
- 3/4 cup Almond Meal
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- Scant tsp baking powder
- 3 spring onions finely sliced
- small bunch roughly chopped parsley
- small bunch roughly chopped coriander
- 2-3 eggs beaten. This depends on how big your eggs are. Use 2 and if the mixture looks to dry add another.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Grate the zucchini into a bowl sprinkle with salt and mix. Leave for 10 minutes then squeeze as much of the liquid from the mixture as you can. This is your chance to let out all your frustrations. The more you squeeze out the better your fritters will be.
- Grate the sweet potato.
- Add everything except the egg and coconut oil into a bowl and mix well.
- Add the egg and mix.
- Heat a non-stick frypan and add coconut oil.
- Add tablespoons full of the mixture to the pan and flatten into pattie shapes as in the photo.
- Fry until golden and turn
- Put on a tray in the oven to keep warm until all the mix is finished.
- Serve on their own with sour cream as a snack or with a salad as a meal.
I would love to hear from you if you try these to let me know how you went.